What You Get
What is on offer to participants on a Sandbox?
“I felt a real sense of support and a fantastic feeling of relief that people were struggling with the same questions that we were. It was also great to feel part of other people's projects, watching them take shape and asking pertinent questions to help them develop their work.” Theatre Sandbox Participant
Participation in REACT Sandbox is open to collaborations between an academic based at one of our partner institutions and a creative economy company. Sandbox offers:
- A commission of £50,000 (at 72% FeC) for the academic partner including up to £10,000 allocated to the Creative Economy Partner. For detailed notes on how the academic spend has been modelled please see the Books&Print brief available on our Apply page.
- Opportunity to focus intensively on development of an idea over a three month period
- Peer community of potential collaborators for current and future projects
- Structured ‘innovation lab’ process featuring research blogs and catch up, showcase and feedback events
- Critical and technical advice and support
- A panel of leading industry advisers who will take a mentoring role in the development of ideas and potential routes to market
- Dedicated support from a business development consultant who will work with the partners to develop plans around routes to market and exploitation
Confidentiality and IP at Sandbox events
iShed's aim is to facilitate a collaborative and supportive environment in which ideas can be shared and developed with trusted colleagues.
Respect for participants' intellectual property and confidential information is a crucial part of this collaboration and so iShed asks all participants to adhere to the following principles when attending the Heritage Sandbox Events:
The Sandbox Principles
- You must decide which ideas you wish to discuss at heritage Sandbox events, and the level of detail you want to disclose to the other participants.
- As a participant, you are required to keep confidential all information disclosed by other participants during the scheme, whether that information is disclosed verbally, in writing or in any other form and whether or not expressly stated to be confidential (confidential information).
- You will not use the confidential information of other participants to develop your own content, products, services, technologies or applications, or otherwise than with the consent of the other participants concerned.
- You will destroy or return all the confidential information disclosed to you by other participants if requested to do so by those participants.
- For the purposes of these Principles, confidential information will not include information that is publicly available (other than as a result of a disclosure by you); or has been independently developed by you without reference to the confidential information, as demonstrated by reasonable written evidence.
- The copyright, database rights, trade marks, designs, patents and other intellectual property (IP) arising in any of your confidential information existing prior to Heritage Sandbox, or subsequently created exclusively by you (without reference to the confidential information of, or assistance from, other participants), shall be owned exclusively by you.
- Any IP created by you by reference to the confidential information of, or in conjunction with, other participants shall be owned jointly by you and those other participants. This means that you and the other participants will not be able to copy, use or exploit that joint IP without the consent of the others involved in creating that joint IP.
- You should be aware that disclosures of a detailed nature relating to new inventions may prejudice your ability to obtain patent protection for these inventions at a later date. To that end, whilst iShed encourages you to share and shape ideas, detailed disclosures relating to processes or specifications should be reserved until after you have entered into a collaboration with a participant and have signed a collaboration agreement.